Irish Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle blogger Louise Cooney shares her experience of the Ibec Global Graduates programme
21 February 2019
TU Dublin- City Campus Graduate Louise Cooney completed her Masters in Marketing here at the College of Business and went on to take part in the Ibec Global Graduates programme.
The Ibec Global Graduates programme places graduates attracted by an international career on paid work placements around the world with leading companies over 12-24 months. Each of their three graduate programmes combine on-the-job experiential learning and academic study in partnership with TU Dublin- City Campus, leading to an accredited qualification.
What first attracted you to the Ibec Global Graduates – Tourism Programme?
Definitely the international experience on offer was the initial draw for me. It’s very rare to find a grad program like this; that allows you to get so hands on in an international role so early on in your career. It also gives you big opportunities to continue learning and growing with the Post Grad degree you do while on the program.
Tell us what a typical day was like for you on your placement?
I worked with Tourism Ireland in PR and Business Tourism roles. I worked on a variety of different projects throughout the program – database management and event co-ordination was a big part of my first year while I was based in New York, and planning, managing budgets & building relationships was a big part of my second year when I was based in the head office, Dublin. I managed some of Tourism Ireland’s webpages and social media accounts throughout my time as well.
What were the benefits and challenges within the programme?
– Getting international experience and learning about a different professional culture
– Learning to time manage efficiently while. balancing work and the post graduate course work.
– Working in a company that had lots of exciting campaigns that I felt passionate about
– An exciting challenge was moving away to New York for my first year of work after college, it was an invaluable learning experience with lots of challenges.
– Balancing work/ post grad course work. I had to learn to plan ahead and use my time more effectively.
– Learning to adapt to office life. This program gave me my first opportunity to experience a corporate/ office environment – learning what’s expected and what’s appropriate/ inappropriate can be a challenge and interesting when you’re starting off.
Read Louise's full insight into her time with Tourism Ireland as part of the Ibec Global Graduate Programme.
If you are interested in an International career on paid work placements around the world, all while gaining a Postgraduate qualification in Global Business, create your online application now (close 12 noon Tuesday 26th February 2019)