Unfortunately there is no ‘quick fix’ to quitting smoking. If you want to give up smoking for good you need to take a closer look at your smoking habits and understand why you smoke and what the effects of smoking on your life and your future are. You may find that your level of motivation changes from day-to-day depending on your mood and the situations you find yourself in. Changing your attitude to smoking, making the decision to give up and changing your lifestyle are important to your success. There are things you can do to help yourself stay focused on your goal to quit smoking for good.
Plan to quit by starting your quit plan today. It will help you to:
- take a closer look at your smoking and identify what makes you smoke,
- help find realistic ways to deal with your triggers,
- learn new ways to deal with the difficult (high risk) situations,
- make a plan of action to help you stop smoking for good
- figure out ways of living your life without tobacco.
You can also contact the DIT Student Health Centre, call the National Smokers’ Quitline on callsave 1850 201 203 to speak to an advisor or you can find contact details for your nearest HSE smoking cessation service.