Prof Declan McCormack
t: (+353-1) 402 4778
Head, School of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Completed PhD "The synthesis and characterization of nafion bound material" under the joint supervision of Prof John Kelly and Dr. Mike Lyons ( TCD ) and Dr Michel Pineri, CEN, Grenoble.
- Appointed Lecturer in Physical Chemistry at the School in 1990.
- Appointed Head of School 2005
- Academic Director, Centre for Research in Enginnering Surface Technology (CREST)
Teaching thermodynamics, materials chemistry and surface & colloid chemistry to undergraduate students inYear 3 and Year 4. (DT203, DT261, DT227, DT299).
Current research interests:
- Environmental & toxicological impact of nanoparticles.
- Sol-gel preparation of nanoparticulate materials.
- Nanoparticulate ZnO and its electronic applications.
- Photophysical properties of quantum dots.
- “Rapid Microwave Synthesis of Mesoporous TiO2 for Electrochromic Displays” P. Periyat, N. Leyland, D. E. McCormack, J. Colreavy, D. Corr and S. C. Pillai, J. Mater. Chem., 2010, 20, 3650 - 3655
- “Benefits of hydrophobicity and silver ion release for protection of environmental and clinical surfaces, Dual-action hygienic coatings:” N. Stobie, B. Duffy, J. Colreavy, P. McHale, S.J. Hinder, D.E. McCormack, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2010, 345(2), 286-292 doi:10.1016/j.jcis.2010.02.009
- “Microwave-assisted synthesis of ZnO micro-javelins”, S. C. Padmanabhan, D. Ledwith, S. C. Pillai, D. E. McCormack and J. M. Kelly, J. Mater. Chem., 2009, 19, 9250 – 9259
- “Silver doped perfluoropolyether-urethane coatings: antibacterial activity and surface analysis”, N. Stobie, B. Duffy, S. J. Hinder, D. E. McCormack, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2009, 72, 62–67
- One-Pot Synthesis of Anionic (Nitrogen) and Cationic (Sulfur) Co-doped High Temperature Stable Visible Light Active Anatase Photocatalysts Pradeepan Periyat, Declan E. McCormack, Steven J. Hinder, Suresh C. Pillai, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2009, 113 (8), pp 3246–3253 (DOI: 10.1021/jp808444y)
- Guidance Booklet on Safe Handling of Nanoparticles (Impart) NMP4-CT-2005-013968, 2008, D McCormack, N Malanowski, P Sermon, J Hoech
- Working Report on the Status Quo of Nanomaterials Impact on Human Health and the Environment - Improving the understanding of the impact of nanoparticles on human health and the environment, imPart, 2008, Ed by H. F. Krug.
- Suresh C. Pillai, John M. Kelly, Declan E. McCormack,and Raghavendra Ramesh, High Performance ZnO Varistors Prepared from Nanocrystalline Precursors for Miniaturised Electronic Devices, J. Mat. Chem., 2008, 18, 3926 - 3932
- Pradeepan Periyat, Suresh C. Pillai, Declan E. McCormack, John Colreavy, and Steven J. Hinder, Improved High-Temperature Stability and Sun-Light-Driven Photocatalytic Activity of Sulfur-Doped Anatase TiO2, J. Phys Chem C, 2008, 112 (20), 7644–7652.
- Niall Stobie, Brendan Duffy, Declan E. McCormack, John Colreavy, Martha Hidalgo, Patrick McHale, Steven J. Hinder, Prevention of Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilm formation using a low-temperature processed silver-doped phenyltriethoxysilane sol-gel coating, Biomaterials, 2008, 29, 963 - 969.