Dr Bryan Duggan
I am a lecturer in the School of Computer Science at the DIT in Kevin St. I am also the author Tunepal – a very popular search engine app for Irish trad music available for IOS, Android and online. I teach mostly games related subjects and am interested in game AI, virtual reality, music technology amongst other things.
- Author of Tunepal – the world’s leading search engine app on Android and IOS for traditional Irish music. Tunepal is a query-by-playing search engine that indexes over 23,000 music scores. It has > 20K users in 40 countries and handles around 1,000 music searches per day.
- Board member of the International GameCraft Foundation (Organiser of games jams)
- Editorial board of the International Journal of Game Based Learning
- Co-organizer of the annual DIT/Ernest Adams games design workshops for second level students (2006-2013). Over 3000 students have participated.
- Co-organizer of State of Play (2011-2013) The Irish independent games festival
- Judge at the worldwide finals of the Microsoft Imagine Cup in New York in 2011
- Judge at the Appys 2012-2013 (the awards for the Irish app development sector)
- Judge at the Samsung Digital Media Awards (2011-2013)
- Competition captain of the games competition of the Irish Imagine Cup finals (2012 and 2013)
- Mentor of teams on two occasions at the worldwide finals of the Microsoft Imagine Cup competition (Seoul in 2007 and Poland in 2010)
- Mentor and organiser of DIT teams at Games Fleadh (2005-2013)
- Invited guest lecturer at the Harbin Institute of Technology, China on 9 occasions (2006-2011)
- Invited guest lecturer at the Tanzanian Institute of Finance on 3 occasions.
- Co-Organiser First Tanzanian ICT Summit (2013) organized by DIT and the Irish Embassy to Tanzania, where I presented a one day Android programming workshop
- Co-organiser International Conference on Computer Games, Animation, AI, Mobile and Serious Games 2006
- Author of BGE – open source C++ game engine for teaching, supporting Kinect and the Oculus Rift virtual reality head mounted display (http://github.com/skooter500/BGE)
- DIT Teaching Hero 2014, awarded by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning.
- Highly commended paper in proceedings of the ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS’14). ACM, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Award for excellence in academic publishing, in the Digital Libraries Perspectives Journal 2012
- Winner Best Overall Invention in DIT in 2010 sponsored by Hannah Moore Curley Solicitors
- Awarded the best presentation prize at the International Computer Music Conference 2009