CODE OF CONDUCT
FOR THE USE OF SOFTWARE OR DATASETS
The following text is derived from the CHEST UK Code of Conduct for the Use of Computer Software or Datasets
(http:/www.chest.co.uk/ Copyright 1999 EduServtm All Rights Reserved.)
This Code of Conduct should be observed by all users of software and/or computer readable datasets, hereafter referred to as "Product” that has been issued or made available to them by the Institute. This Code does not constitute a licence and, in all cases, users of Product should acquaint themselves with the provisions of the relevant licence when they obtain a copy and before putting the same to use.
The Code of Conduct is in three parts:
(a) The Code
(b) Definition of Educational Use
(c) Copyright Acknowledgement.
Unless advised to the contrary, it is to be assumed that Product is subject to Copyright Law and is provided for Educational Use, see "Definition of Educational Use."
The Institute will maintain a record, or require any School/Department which is in receipt of Product to maintain such a record, of each Product that is available for use in the Institute or, in the case of devolved responsibility, within the School/Department. In either case, the record shall contain details of the licensing arrangements for each Product, together with the names of any persons to whom a copy has been issued.
All employees and students of the Institute will be informed of this Code of Conduct and all users of Product will be advised of the conditions under which it may be used and will sign, agreeing that they have been so advised. In the event that users, who are neither employees nor students of the Institute, are seeking authorised access to Product, they will be similarly advised and will be required to sign, agreeing that they have been so advised and will further sign, agreeing that they will abide by the Code before being given access to Product. The responsibility for ensuring that such users are so informed may be devolved to the "home" Institute by prior agreement between the Institutes.
All employees and students of the Institute will be issued with a copy of the Copyright Acknowledgement.
The Institute will organise arrangements for back-up, copying and distribution of Product and Documentation subject to the conditions of the licence. Users shall not copy, nor distribute copies of Product unless permitted to do so under the terms of the licence.
Where it is a condition of supply of Product the Institute will organise a single point of contact for dealing with queries and support of Product. This point of contact will be within the Central IT Service.
In the event of termination of the licence for Product, the Institute will instruct the single point of contact to call in all copies of Product and, where appropriate, to make arrangements for the safeguarding of the authorised archival copy.
The Institute shall not permit users to reverse engineer, nor to decompile Product(s) unless permitted so to do under the terms of the Copyright and Related Rights Act, 2000 and associated Statutory Instruments, or under the terms the licence.
The Institute will use its best endeavours to apply, administer and ensure compliance with this Code of Conduct.
DEFINITION OF EDUCATIONAL USE
Product may be used by any employee, student, or other person(s) authorised by the Licensee for the purposes of the normal business of the Licensee's organisation, whether or not they are located on the Licensee's premises. Such use of Product includes the following:
c) Personal educational development
d) Administration and management of the business of the Licensee's organisation.
e) Development work associated with any of the above.
i) Consultancy or services leading to commercial exploitation of Product
ii) Work of direct benefit to the employer of students on industrial placement or part-time courses paid for by the student's employer.
In (i) and (ii) above the Licensor may allow such use in return for acknowledgement of use of Product and/or for an agreed fee.
Note "Commercial Exploitation" in the context of this Code is the use of Product for monetary gain, either by the Institute or an individual. Where Product is so used this must be a matter for discussion between the Supplier and the Licensee.
No persons shall be excluded from use of Product for reasons of nationality or citizenship.
All persons who are provided by the licensee with copies of Product must have signed a declaration incorporating the Copyright Acknowledgement.
I agree that my usage of any Software, Computer Readable Dataset or Courseware, or other similar material, hereafter referred to as "the Product", issued or otherwise made available to me by the Institute to which I am a student or member of staff is subject to the following conditions:
1. I will ensure that all the requirements of the agreements, contracts and licences under which the Product is held by the Institute will be maintained. (Copies of the relevant agreements, contracts and licences may be seen by application to the School or Department, which made Product available.)
2. I will adhere to the regulations governing the use of any service involved in the provision of access to the product whether these services are controlled by my own Institute or by some other organisation.
3. I will not remove, nor alter, the Copyright Statement on any copies of the Product used by me.
4. I will ensure the Security and Confidentiality of any copy released to me, and will not make any further copies from it, nor knowingly permit others to do so, unless permitted to do so under the relevant licence.
5. I will use the Product only for purposes defined, and only on computer systems covered, by the agreement, contract or licence.
6. I will only incorporate the Product, or part thereof, in any work, program or article produced by me, where this is permitted by the licence or by "Fair Dealing."
7. I will only incorporate some part or version of the Product in any work produced by me with the express permission of the Licensor or unless this is permitted under the Agreement.
8. I will not reverse engineer, nor decompile the software products, nor attempt to do so unless this is explicitly permitted within the terms of the Agreement for the use of the Product.
9. I will return or destroy all copies of the Product at the end of the course/year/period of employment or when requested to do so.
In signing this Copyright Acknowledgement Form I understand that the Institute reserves its right to take legal action against individuals who cause it to be involved in legal proceedings as a result of violation of its licensing agreements.
NAME : ______________________________________________
COURSE : ____________________________________________
YEAR : ______________ DATE : _________________________
SIGNED : _____________________________________________
PLEASE TICK/MARK YOUR OPERATION SYSTEM OF USE:
APPLE MAC OS VERSION
OS X 10.9 Mavericks____________
OS X 10.10 Yosemite ______________
OS X 10.11 El Capitan ___________
OS X 10.12 Sierra _______________
MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEMS:
Windows 7 (32bit)_____________
Windows 7 (64bit)_____________
Windows 8 (32bit)____________
Windows 8 (64bit)_____________