Course Duration: Half day
Course Trainer: DIT Occupational Health Officer, or external trainer
Who Should Attend:
This course is designed to meet legislative requirements, as follows:
- The DIT Health and Safety Policy requires that all staff with manual handling duties (any transporting or supporting of a load including lifting, putting down, pushing, pulling, carrying or moving a load) to attend the half day manual handling training course.
- All other staff may on authorization from their line manager complete the online manual handling course.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand how the body is harmed through incorrect lifting techniques
- Describe the 8 principles of safe manual handling
- Apply the principles to tasks in the workplace so that loads are handled safely
- Anatomy of the Spine & Injuries
- Risk Assessment & Ergonomics
- Back Care
- Manual Handling Practical
- Assessment (Theory & Practical)
Note: As this course includes an element of practical training, participants are advised that appropriatefootwear and loose comfortable clothing should be worn. To successfully complete this course, participants will be assessed on their level of competence in handling loads on the day of training. REFRESHER TRAINING Will be at intervals not more than every three years and when there is a major change in the work involved or equipment used, or when a staff member is transferred to a position where loads are required to be handled.