Careers in Geomatics Surveying
The RICS Geomatics Division has produced the following information about careers in the sector.
Click on RICS_Ad_2014 to download the full advert from the Guardian, June 2014.
Geomatics at DIT (DT112)
Materials to download
- Geomatics Brochure November 2012
- Geomatics at DIT (DT112) presentation: High Resolution (9Mb) or Reduced Resolution (5.5Mb)
What is Geomatics?
- Heard of Geomatics but unsure of what it's all about or if it's the right career choice for you?
Well here are the facts and the answers...
- Geomatics is the measurement, analysis and management of data relating to the earth and the built environment
- It is a profession with ancient roots, modern relevance, and an eye to the future
- Geomatics professionals:
- collect information for making maps using lots of new cutting edge technology
- process this information to produce maps, 3D models and 4D systems of the world around us
- analyse this information to support good decision-making
- manage this information for use by lots of different professionals
- Areas of geomatics activities include land, engineering, mine & hydrographic surveying; geographic information systems (GIS); land management; and remote sensing
- There is full employment for Geomatics professionals worldwide and there is high mobility for individuals through networks of international professional bodies and learned societies (e.g. FIG - International Federation of Surveyors, RICS - Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, ISPRS - International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, etc.)
- Employment for geomatics professionals is found both public bodies and private enterprises in Ireland and worldwide. Check out our section for detailed examples
- Geomatics professionals are employed at every level from field and data entry operatives to managing directors (MDs) and chief execuitive officers (CEOs) and good career progression is available to motivated individuals. Check out our section for examples of career directions
- Geomatics careers can be demanding but they are also very rewarding
Geomatics is the career for you if...
- you have an interest in the world around you and how it functions spatially
- you love geography but would like to study for an applied career
- you think you would enjoy working in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor environments
- you have an interest in or an aptitude for working with numbers
- you are interested in working with cutting-edge technologies
- you demonstrate good spatial awareness
Even if you only say 'yes' to one of the above, please read on aboutand about
- DIT's Geomatics graduates are high employable. In 2012, despite difficult economic conditions, 95% of our graduates gained relevant employment within 6 months of finishing their studies
- DIT's Geomatics graduates are employed by leading Irish and worldwide companies. Many of these companies approach the programme staff directly for recruitment of graduates and partake in our semester 6 work placement programme. See information on some of these employers in our section
- DIT's Geomatics graduates can become Chartered Surveyors or Professional Members of a number of Professional bodies and accredited organisations
- Our staff are highly committed and utilise excellent links with the Geomatics industry both home and abroad to ensure that our students obtain the most up-to-date training and education and that our graduates remain among the most sought-after
- The one-semester work placement programme during third year provides our students with relevant industrial experience and has, for many of our graduates, provided links that resulted in employment directly upon graduation
- A BSc (Hons) in Geomatics (Surveying & Mapping) is an excellent stepping-stone to further studies with recent graduates having undertaken further studies at MSc and PhD levels in areas such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Information Technology, Technology Management, Planning, Agricultural Monitoring and
- DIT's Bolton Street campus is a great place to study with a 100-year record of excellent academic achievement and the guarantee of an exciting student life. Check out our , Facebook, Twitter and YouTube links
If you think Geomatics @ DIT might be for you, please read more about our programme at this Geomatics link and feel free to contact any member of who would be happy to answer any queries you might have about the programme or the career