The Higher Education Policy Research Unit (HEPRU) is an interdisciplinary research unit located within the Centre for Social and Educational Research (CSER). As the only research group in Ireland looking at questions of strategic and policy concern to the future of higher education in Ireland, HEPRU has established a strong international reputation for comparative policy research and analysis, and higher education assessment and evaluation.
HEPRU is an international partner in the Centre for Global Higher Education (CGHE), based in the Institute of Education, University College London. CGHE is the largest unit in the world dedicated to researching higher education, with three broad research programmes, based on global, national and local perspectives on higher education. HEPRU's focus within CGHE is the global governance of higher education, and Ellen Hazelkorn is a founding member of CGHE, and a member of the Advisory Board and Management Committee.
HEPRU works closely with international and higher education organizations (e.g. the OECD, UNESCO, International Association of Universities (IAU), European University Association (EUA), European Centre for Strategic Management of Universities (ESMU), and Higher Education Authority of Ireland (HEA), in addition to national governments and higher education institutions (HEIs) in Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Jamaica, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Romania, Serbia, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, the UAE, and private foundations.
Follow us on Twitter at @HEPRU_DIT
- 4-8/7/16 Andrew Gibson is on the review panel for the OECD's HEInnovate country review of the Netherlands
- 19/4/16 Interview with Ellen Hazelkorn on The EvoLLLution, "Rankings Oversimplify the Complex World of Higher Education"
- 14/4/16 Video interview with Ellen Hazelkorn with the European Universities Association (EUA) on "Universities' role in serving society and offering new pathways to learning for wider participation"
- 13/4/16 Article by Ellen Hazelkorn, "Horizon 2020: The EU research agenda" published by Boston College’s Centre for International Higher Education", in International Briefs for Higher Education Leaders, Spring (2016)
- 10/3/16 Launch of Towards 2030: A framework for building a world-class post-compulsory education system for Wales, a review for the Welsh Government undertaken by Ellen Hazelkorn of the FE & HE sectors in Wales
- 1-2/2/16 Dublin meeting of the "NQF-in" project, funded through the European Commission's Erasmus+ programe, in which HEPRU is a research partner
- 2/2/16 Launch of the Centre for Global Higher Education (CGHE), at the Institute of Education University College London, in which HEPRU is an international partner
- 1/1/16 Article by Ellen Hazelkorn and Andrew Gibson, "Another Year, Another Methodology: Are Rankings Telling Us Anything New?" has been published by Boston College’s Centre for International Higher Education, in International Higher Education, Winter (2016)
- 17/12/15 Book chapter by Ellen Hazelkorn, "Student Guidance and Student Selection" in the book Access and Expansion Post-Massification: Opportunities and barriers to further growth in Higher Education Participation, edited by Ben Jongbloed and Hans Vossensteyn was published by Routledge
- 8/11/15 Article on WonkHE announcing the launch of the Centre for Global Higher Education (CGHE) at the Institute of Education in University College London, with HEPRU as an international partner, "The Centre for Global Higher Education gets to work"
- 23/10/15 Article in University World News by Ellen Hazelkorn on the Science Education for Responsible Citizenship report, research, and having an informed citizenry, "We must include the public more in scientific debates"
- 12-21/10/16 Andrew Gibson was a national expert on the review panel for the OECD's HEInnovate country review of Ireland.
- 15/10/15 The book The State in Transition: Essays in Honour of John Horgan, featuring a chapter by Ellen Hazelkorn, Andrew Gibson, and Siobhán Harkin was launched in the Royal Irish Academy.
- 18/8/15 Podcast with New Books in Education featuring Ellen Hazelkorn discussing the second edition of Rankings and the Reshaping of Higher Education
- 17/8/15 Article in The Irish Times on the Science Education for Responsible Citizenship report, with an interview with Ellen Hazelkorn
- 15/8/15 Article in Le Monde on the ARWU Shanghai ranking ("It panics universities, not students") featuring Ellen Hazelkorn.
- 5/8/15 The European Commission Expert Group chaired by Ellen Hazelkorn has published its report, Science Education for Responsible Citizenship (pdf)
- 14/7/15 Ellen Hazelkorn has been appointed by the Welsh Government to conduct a review of the current arrangements and make recommendations for the future regulation and oversight of post-compulsory education and training for Wales (article on Times Higher Education)
- 2/6/15 Ellen Hazelkorn presented "Challenges for Science and the Problems of Assessing Research"(audio here), at the "Research Assessment and Quality in Science: Perspectives from international science and policy organisations" at the 4th World Conference on Research Integrity in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 20/5/15 Higher Education in Russia and Beyond (HERB), Issue 2(4) Summer 2015, "How the Geo-Politics of Ranking is Shaping Behaviour", Ellen Hazelkorn
- 10/4/15 Andrew Gibson and Ellen Hazelkorn presented a paper at the Educational Studies Association of Ireland (ESAI) 2015 Conference, Maynooth, "Public Understanding of Arts and Humanities Research: The Case of Ireland"
- 4/15 HEPRU is now listed on the Boston College Centre for International Higher Education (CIHE) Experts Database