Success through the tough times
Renowned entrepreneur and presenter of TV3’s hit programme ‘The Apprentice’ Dr Bill Cullen addressed an eager crowd of DIT students, Hothouse entrepreneurs and guests in Gleeson Hall, DIT Kevin Street. The event was a huge success and well organized by DIT Business & Marketing Society (BAM). Co-sponsored by Hothouse and Dublin City Enterprise Board (DCEB) who were delighted wit the turnout and genuine enthusiasm of the audience. In a presentation entitled "Are you ready to succeed in tough times?" Mr Cullen challenged students to ask themselves if they are ready to succeed and gave tips for surviving the recession and excelling in business and in life with his easy to remember APPLES acronym:
- Attitude for achieving –Dump the negatives and don’t ever say you ‘cant’
- People power – ‘dig your well before you get thirsty’
- Plan with passion - have a positive attitude along with positive actions
- Learn to be lucky – luck is opportunity meeting preparation
- Energy to excel – energy builds energy
- Sell with a smile – this is what made John Fitzgerald Kennedy President of the United States
Remember to always take your APPLES with you wherever you go, Cullen advised.
Other nuggets that Bill shared included;
- Love – find out what it is you love and make a job out of it
- Watch trends – if you go travelling watch trends in other countries
- Work harder, longer and smarter than your colleagues
- Have a business card with your photo on it, it sounds very American but the fact is that this will connect with people, it tells a story and most importantly they will remember you.
In light of the poor economic climate, which is of particular concern to students as they worry about job prospects and the introduction of fees, Dr. Cullen inspired the audience and left no questions unanswered with an intensive Q&A time. Asked what he thought about his experience with The Apprentice Bill replied, that ‘the programme was an exciting opportunity to budding Irish achievers’ and we can look forward to seeing him again on our screens this autumn. Overall the talk was truly inspiring and motivational in a time when gloom and doom are prevalent, it is exactly what we needed.
Hothouse is the award winning Innovation and Technology Transfer Centre at Dublin Institute of Technology. A magnetic energy hub, Hothouse draws in entrepreneurial and academic talent, ignites creativity and provides a dynamic environment to fast-track businesses and technologies to commercial success.
Dublin City Enterprise Board
Welcome to Dublin City Enterprise Board, the state funded agency that helps start up and micro businesses in Dublin city with enterprise information, advice, training, mentoring, networking and in some cases financial assistance. www.dceb.ie
In a presentation entitled "Are you ready to succeed in tough times?" Mr Cullen will challenge students to ask themselves if they areready to succeed in tough times and will give tips for surviving the recession and excelling in business.
The audience will include DIT students and staff and entrepreneurs who are being supported by the DIT Hothouse Innovation programme. In addition, 20 students from the DIT Access Programme secondary schools will attend to get a taste of college life.
The event is organized by DIT Business & Marketing Society (BAM).
One of the central aims of BAM, is to bring inspiring and relevant guest speakers into DIT students to encourage entrepreneurship. In light of the poor economic climate, which is of particular concern to students as they worry about job prospects and the introduction of fees, Dr. Cullen was an ideal candidate to inspire students.
Marketing Officer Hothouse
Phone: 01 402 7144