This site uses a number of third party cookies. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy


Human Resources - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I change my address/bank details?

A: CorePortal, which includes access to CorePersonnel Self Service, allows access for staff to make necessary changes to basic personal information such as address, next of kin etc.

When you log into CorePortal you will see the option for CorePersonnel on the right hand side. To access any Personnel information you must click into that link first.

User manuals are available at

To change your bank details you should submit a TU Dublin pay mandate form (or other authorised bank salary authorisation form) to the Human Resource Department. You should pay attention to the timing of such a request as changes will be applied to the early part of the month and cannot be made after certain dates. Please consult with an member of the Resourcing and Benefits team for further advice or information

Q: How do I get a salary cert/landlord/bank/mortgage letter from HR?

A: If you need a letter stating your address, earnings or job status, please send a request by email to the Resourcing & Benefits Team, stating the purpose of the letter, your staff number and job title. If you have a salary certificate that needs to be completed and stamped by the University, please send a copy as follows:

a) A scanned copy by e-mail to the Resourcing & Benefits Team OR;

b) A hard copy by internal mail, marked:

Resourcing & Benefits
Human Resources
TU Dublin 
5th Floor
Park House Grangegorman
191 North Circular Road
Dublin 7 
D07 EWV4


Q: What is an increment and how does it apply to my salary?

A: If your post is aligned to a salary scale (please see the conditions of remuneration in your contract of employment) you should be entitled to an annual increment. Your increment date is usually provided in your contract of employment or letter of appointment. For each year of service that you complete within the University, you will move up one point of the salary scale. This is known as an annual increment. When you reach the last point on your current salary scale, you will then serve a number of years at a fixed point on the salary scale until you reach the final point. This is known as a Long Service Increment. For further information on regarding the conditions for determining starting salary and for the award of increments on appointment to permanent, fixed term/specified purpose wholetime or pro-rata part-time positions, ‌

Q: When is payday?

A: Monthly Payroll
Academic, Administrative/ICT, Technical, and Library (excluding Pro-Rata Part-Time) and Research staff are paid on a monthly basis by credit transfer to the bank account/building society account which you nominate. Pay day is normally on the second last banking day of the month.

Weekly Payroll
Hourly Paid Part-Time and Maintenance staff are paid weekly by credit transfer to the bank account/building society account which you nominate. Pay day is normally on Thursdays.

For queries on P45s, Tax, payslips and general pay queries, please contact the Payroll Dept

Q: If I am out sick, how soon should I post in my doctor’s note?

A: You should submit a doctor’s note to your manager no later than the fourth day of absence.

Q: Who do I post my doctor’s note to, HR or my manager?

A: You should post your doctor’s note to your line manager.

Q: When should I apply for illness benefit?

A: It is only necessary to apply for social welfare benefit (illness benefit) if you are covered by Class A PRSI and are out sick for more than three days in a row. Your payslip will indicate if you are covered by class A PRSI.

Q: Can I carry annual leave from one year into another year?

A: Annual leave should be taken within the leave year. Some annual leave may be carried, subject to the approval of your line manager. It must be used within the first three months of the new leave year but may be held for a maximum of a further three months with the approval of HR. Your manager should write to/email Resourcing & Benefits at to confirm his/her agreement and to get approval from HR.

Q: Who can I contact if I forget my pin or get locked out of Core Portal?

A: Email to get a new pin for Core Portal.

Q: Where can I find out more about updating my Academic Qualifications in Core Portal?

A: Information about updating your Academic Qualificaions in Core Portal and a User Guide is availale on the HR website at .. 

Q: Who can I contact if I forget my password or get locked out of Core HR?

A: Email to get a new password for Core HR.

Q: Who can I contact if I forget my password or get locked out of Infoview?

A: Email to get a new password for Infoview.

Q: My flexi balance is down hours but I have no outstanding adjustments – why is this?

A: You may require what is called a “Balance Recalculation”. This can be done by your on-site administrator and only requires that you phone/email him/her. If your on-site administrator runs into any problems with the Balance Recalculation, they can contact Resourcing & Benefits and we will look into the problem from here. Please note that not all Balance Recalculations are the responsibility of Resourcing & Benefits but we will assist as necessary.

Q: How do I raise a grievance that relates to my terms and conditions?

A: You should raise your grievance with your line manager in the first instance. If the matter is unresolved, it should be discuss with your Director. If the matter is unresolved at that point, you can formally invoke the University's Grievance Procedures which are available here.

Q: Which union represents me in TU Dublin?

A: The University recognises a number of trade unions for particular categories of staff i.e.

  • Unite: Technical Staff
  • Group of Unions (IMPACT & SIPTU): Maintenance Staff
  • FORSA: Administrative, Library and ICT Staff
  • Teacher’s Union of Ireland (TUI): Academic Staff
  • Irish Nurses & Midwives Organisation (INMO): Nursing Staff
  • Craft Group of Unions: Craft Working Staff

Q: Where can I find information on TU Dublin's pension scheme?

A: Information on the pension scheme is available on our website here. Our website provides a range of information on retirement options as well as information on the retirement planning courses run by the Pensions Section. In particular you should refer to the explanatory leaflets which explains the various entitlements and options available to member of the scheme.

Q: How do I know if I am a member of the pension scheme?

A: This information would have been provided to you on appointment and details of the scheme would have been notified to you then. It is also a condition in your contract of employment. Finally you will see the deduction of contributions to the pension scheme (called "superannuation") on your pay slip each month.

Q: How much notice should I give if I wish to retire?

A: For most people the minimum contractual notice period is one month. However, we would ask that, where possible, staff members retiring on a voluntary basis would give three months notice so that the necessary arrangements for their retirement can be put in place.

Q: I am not a member of TU Dublin's occupational pension scheme. Can I contribute to any pension arrangement?

A: Staff member who are not admitted to TU Dubiln's occupational pension scheme are entitled to contribute to a Personal Retirement Savings Account. TU Dublin can facilitate the deduction of contributions to PRSAs held with Zurich (through Cornmarket). Details of the PRSA are provided on appointment and are available here.