Security & Privacy of your email
Organisations are increasingly moving services to the Cloud, including no-fee cloud email services. DIT, in common with other Higher Education Institutions in Ireland, has also taken this step. The new service brings many advantages, including savings in terms of infrastructure and support, which are critical for us as a public service provider. It also enables us to avail of the latest technology without the high costs of replacing the existing ageing systems.
In cloud computing the overall service to users remains the same but the service is hosted and the data is stored outside the Institute. Information Services would like to assure colleagues that security and privacy of data are of the utmost concern. All matters relating to security, privacy and data protection are covered by the Google Apps for Education agreement. Here are a number of key points to note:
- Facilities and data transfer: All facilities used to store and process Customer Data will adhere to reasonable security standards no less protective than the security standards at facilities where Google stores and processes its own information of a similar type.
- Privacy of personal data: In respect of the personal data of end users as per contract, Google shall take and implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect personal data against unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access. Google will provide the services and process user’s personal data in accordance with the Google Privacy Policies
- Emergency security issues: If there is an emergency security issue, then Google may automatically suspend the applicable user account.
- Intellectual property rights: Users own all intellectual property rights in customer data, and Google owns all intellectual property rights in the services.
- The most common Security Questions answered by Google http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&hlrm=en&answer=60762
- See “recent blog posts” from Baker Security and Networks, a Google Apps consultancy company http://bsn.ie/
- Interview with Data Protection Commissioner conducted by Baker Security & Networks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobKSp5Ut8Q&feature=player_embedded