Getting Started - The Basics
Your student ID card is also your library card. Always carry it when on campus. You’ll need your card to access and borrow from the libraries. If you forget your card you can still gain access to the libraries. However, you will not be allowed to borrow.
To borrow an item, bring it and your student ID card to the library desk or self-issue machine.
Borrowing allowances for the main lending collection are:
- Undergraduate students: 6 items for 14 days
- Students registered with Disablility Support Service 4 week loan and then a renewal of 2 weeks.
- Taught postgraduates: 10 items for 28 days
- Postgrads registered with DSS 6 week loan and then a renewal for 4 weeks.
- Research postgraduates: 10 items for 90 days
- Staff: 15 items for 90 days
- External readers: 2 items for 14 days
The following exceptions apply in site libraries:
- Audio Visual material from Rathmines Road library can only be borrowed by staff and postgraduates.
- VHS tapes from Grangegorman library can only be borrowed by staff.
Library Collections and Loan Periods
- Main lending: 14, 28 or 90 days depending on the student/staff category above
- Short loan: 24 hours (items borrowed on a Friday are due by 10.30am on the following Monday)
- Week loan: 7 days
- Learning Teaching and Technology collection, located at Bolton Street: This collection can be used by all library patrons. All items are 28-day loans.
- Library use: Items to be used in library only.
Access your library account online
To access your own library account:
- Go to the ‘My Account’ link on the library catalogue or the MyLibrary app on your phone
- Use your student ID number and library PIN
Accessing your account online allows you to:
- See what items are out to you and when they are due back
- Extend the loan period on your items
- Place a hold on an item that is checked out to someone else
- Opt in to the ‘Reading History’ function