What do we do?
Student Clinics - Open to the Public
Our primary function is to provide training for student optometrists. Clinics are run as part of students training and are open to the general public. Patients of the clinics benefit from a range of basic and specialist optometric services, including the dispensing of spectacles and contact lenses. Assessments are carried out using the latest high-tech equipment and are carried out under the supervision of a qualified practitioner. Student clinics are free of charge.
- Each individual assessment takes approximately 90 minutes.
- At your first visit you will receive a comprehensive eye examination, performed by a student and closely supervised by a qualified optometrist. You may be asked to return to have additional tests carried out.
- If you require spectacles, you can have them dispensed at the clinic dispensary. We stock an extensive range of designer and standard spectacle frames and lenses available at competitive prices. A 10% discount is available on spectacles dispensed to patients who have been examined in the student clinics.
- Our dispensing optician will be happy to assist you and advise you on the most suitable spectacles based on your prescription and lifestyle needs.
- We also offer the option of being assessed and fitted for contact lenses.
- NB: If you decide to be seen through the student clinic you are undertaking a commitment to the student to be available to receive treatment. Students are required to see a minimum number of patients as part of their training. Failure to attend an appointment could result in the student losing important clinical credits.
The student clinics run throughout the academic year. However, the National Optometry Centre is open all year round and private clinics, run by qualified optometrists, are available when student clinics are not in session. For private clinics charges apply.