I'm a Repeat Student
Students repeating part or all of the previous academic year can be an Internal Repeat or an External Repeat
Internal Repeat students are those who have failed certain components of their previous year’s study and are required to return to DIT to attend classes and repeat those components. Components can include examinations, continuous asessments, assignments or laboratory work. In some instances students do not have the option to repeat externally as attendance is mandatory. As an internal repeat you register and pay fees following which you are entitled to retain your student ID card, attend classes, sit examinations and avail of all DIT’s student facilities.
DIT's official procedure for applying to register as an internal repeat:
Refer to the 'Fees' section of this website to confirm the fee to repeat internally.
- Students must contact their Head of School/ Head of Department/ Programme Tutor to verify they are permitted to repeat internally
- Complete the Internal Repeat Form in full
- Submit the completed form to any DIT Student Service Centre
- Register and pay online
(For second and subsequent year students, an Invitation to Register will be sent to your DIT email account. Students repeating first year will receive their Invitation to Register by post. This document will contain all information you will need to register and pay fees online).
To complete the online registration process you will need:
- Invitation to Register Email (Contains your Student ID and your PIN)
- Personal Public Service Number-PPSN (Required by DIT’s funding authority i.e. HEA)
- Credit/Debit card (some debit/laser cards may have a limit of €1,500 per transaction)
- A DIT Online Web Registration User Guide is available for students to view should you need any guidance through the process
As part of this online process you will be asked to:
- Review/Update your personal information
- Register on your chosen programme
- Pay your fees online
External repeat students have been granted permission to repeat failed components from their previous year’s study without attending classes. External repeats are not required to attend classes/labs but are eligible to sit examinations/submit assessments in the module they are repeating at the next available sitting. As an external repeat student you are not entitled to a student ID card and may not avail of DIT’s student facilities.
DIT's official procedure for applying to register as an external repeat:
- Please refer to the 'Fees' section of this website to confirm the fee to repeat externally
- Students who have failed modules during the previous academic year will receive an External Repeat Application Form, by post, with their official examination results.
- Students are required to complete this form and submit it to the Examinations Office by mid-October annually. This deadline applies to all components whether it is a year long, Semester I or Semester II module.
- The Registration Service will post a bank giro to the address we have on our records, which you must pay immediately in any bank.
- The Examinations Office will issue you with your examination timetable.