My Career Aspirations and My Researcher Development Plan
At the beginning of a research career it is important to:
- Become familiar with the knowledge, skills and personal attributes a researcher needs to develop and sustain a career in research;
- Become familiar with the expectations of research funding agencies both in terms of the quality of research proposals and the career profile of the submitting researcher;
- Become familiar with the career opportunities with non-academic employers (including the acquisition of transferable skills);
- Develop a Researcher Development Plan which sets ‘SMART’ goals , that is, specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound goals;
- When developing a Researcher Development Plan identify any training and development gaps which can be addressed via formal/informal developmental opportunities.
- Engage in regular review of the Researcher Development Plan.