Introduction to Postdoctoral & Early Career Researcher Support
Engaging in continuing professional development is integral to developing and sustaining a career in research. Researchers participate in continuing professional development by attending formally arranged workshops and also by engaging informally with colleagues and members of their network.
Our research community comprises of experienced researchers and also researchers just starting their career. Postdoctoral researchers join DIT’s research community as part of their career development. On completing their term in DIT our postdoctoral researchers continue their careers in a variety of academic or non-academic settings. In DIT we strive to ensure that all our researchers receive developmental opportunities which support their chosen career path.
DIT is committed to the pursuit of excellent research conducted in an environment which embraces the values of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. For researchers we seek to provide an open, transparent, and merit based research environment. In DIT we understand that by promoting gender equality and diversity we will grow a dynamic collaborative community of researchers deploying their talents to address the challenges of the modern world.
My Career Aspirations and My Researcher Development Plan
At the beginning of a research career it is important to:
- Become familiar with the knowledge, skills and personal attributes a researcher needs to develop and sustain a career in research;
- Become familiar with the expectations of research funding agencies both in terms of the quality of research proposals and the career profile of the submitting researcher;
- Become familiar with the career opportunities with non-academic employers (including the acquisition of transferable skills);
- Develop a Researcher Development Plan which sets ‘SMART’ goals , that is, specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound goals;
- When developing a Researcher Development Plan identify any training and development gaps which can be addressed via formal/informal developmental opportunities.
- Engage in regular review of the Researcher Development Plan.