- BA (Hons) International Business & Languages
- BA (Hons) Languages and International Tourism
- MA sa Ghaeilge Fheidhmeach
- Career opportunities
BA (Hons) International Business & Languages
- BA in International Business and French (DT 555)
- BA in International Business and German (DT 556)
- BA in International Business and Spanish (DT 557)
- BA in International Business and English (DT 558)
- BA in International Business and Italian (DT 564)
- BA in Chinese and International Business (DT 565)
This four-year honours degree programme is a conjoint programme between the College of Arts and Tourism and the College of Business. It has been running very successfully for a number of years. It offers a flexible alternative to traditional university programmes where the emphasis is on literary studies rather than on a professional application of language skills in the workplace. This modularised, applied, twin-disciplined degree programme equips students with a thorough understanding of international finance, management and marketing, as well as the linguistic and intercultural skills to communicate effectively in one or two foreign languages. Half of the contact hours are taken up by the study of the business subjects, covering all the core elements of a third level business studies degree programme. The other half are taken up by the study of one or two foreign languages.
There are two different types of language streams from which students may chose:
Post-Leaving Certificate Option:
This option offers students the opportunity to continue studying the foreign language they took in the Leaving Certificate Examination providing they have a HC3 or higher in the relevant language (French, German or Spanish). These students have the option to pick up another foreign language from beginner's level and study the two foreign languages with a full range of business subjects. Alternatively, they can opt for a stream of cultural modules alongside the study of their major foreign language.
Subject to demand and resources, French, German, Italian, Spanish or Russian can be chosen as a minor language.
Beginner's Level Option:
This option offers students the opportunity to take up a foreign language from beginner's level. Students concentrate on one foreign language only. They study that language intensively in order to achieve the standard of language competence necessary to spend year 3 abroad. Students also take the full range of business subjects.
The current options are German, Italian, Spanish or Chinese, subject to demand.
The new programme also introduces a wide range of elective modules which students can choose as options in every year of the course.
An essential part of the programme is the year abroad. Students on all streams spend the third year at a partner institution in the country of their first choice language. During the year abroad students not only considerably improve their linguistic skills, but also experience at first-hand the cultures and academic world of the country of residence. Many former students have found this stay abroad the highlight of their studies.
This unique course in International Business and Languages offers graduates many opportunities in the national or international workplace or for further studies. In particular, students:
- gain fluency in one foreign language, and, where applicable, a good working knowledge of a second language.
- become familiar with the cultures of one or two target languages.
- develop an intercultural competence, and thus gain confidence in their ability to act as mediators between cultures.
- acquire the business acumen necessary for the development of innovative strategies in an international environment.
- cultivate the analytical, conceptual and critical thinking skills essential to business strategy.
- develop the skills in time-management, self-projection and human interaction required in an international business environment.
The course places great emphasis on student-centred learning and transferable skills, such as for example, communication and interpersonal skills, intercultural competence, team work and leadership skills. At the end of the 4-year course, graduates are well equipped to meet the demands of the workplace in Ireland and abroad.
For a programme description, please click on the relevant link
For career opportunities for BA (Hons) International Business and Languages graduates, please click on this link