HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT / BAINISTÍOCHT ACMHAINNÍ DAONNA DT398
Programme code: DT398
Qualification awarded: BSc (HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT) Level 8 / BSc (BAINISTÍOCHT ACMHAINNÍ DAONNA) Leibhéal 8
Duration of programme: 4 years
Type of programme: Honours Degree
Number of places: 50 approx.
Location: DIT Aungier Street
What is...Human Resource Management?
This four year, full time programme is designed to develop a HRM graduate with the knowledge, competencies and skills necessary to function effectively as a HRM professional in a business environment. The scope of the programme covers the breadth and depth of the HR profession, from small to large organisations in the private, public, and not for profit sectors; from the fundamental to sophisticated, and local to global. The programme, accredited by the CIPD, is designed to take account of the key professional areas for the HRM professional, as outlined by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
What will I Study?
This programme seeks to:
- Introduce the student to the subjects of Human Resource Management and related business management modules.
- Develop in students an ability to apply Human Resource Management processes and functions to real Human Resource Management situations as well as general business operations issues.
- Introduce students to the basic concepts and functional areas of Human Resource Management and to place these in the overall context of the competitiveness of the organisation.
- Develop a high level of professional competence and skill in the Human Resource Management areas equal to that expected of competent business professionals.
- Facilitate the student’s ability to transfer acquired knowledge and skill to work situations.
- Raise the student’s knowledge and competence in Human Resource Management to the level of strategic decision making.
What are my...Career Opportunities?
Human Resource Management is a challenging and dynamic area of management which offers significant career opportunities. Graduates from the BSc Human Resource Management Programme have career opportunities with national and international organisations across the public and private sector including HR Consultant/Manager, Personnel Recruiter, Project Manager, Training & Development, Employee Relations etc.
What other options do I have after completion?
Students who successfully complete this programme, and reach the appropriate honours standard, are eligible to progress to postgraduate level studies in a wide range of Masters Degrees in DIT and elsewhere in Higher Education. For example in DIT they many progress onto the CIPD accredited Masters in Human Resource Management.
Are there study abroad options?
For semester two of third year, students can select one of the following:
(a) Study in one of the College’s partner Universities in Europe, where modules are delivered in the English language. Student take suitable modules from the courses on offer in that partner institution and sit examinations and other assessments there.
(b) A six-month period of structured work placement in an organisation, across a broad variety of sectors. Students will have the opportunity to experience, in an appropriate business setting, the application of many of the HRM and business concepts, methodologies and issues they have studied on the programme
What our Students say!
- “As a third year student I am really enjoying DIT’s HRM course, with lecturers who are approachable and willing to help in any way they can. We covered a wide range of subjects over the three years, all of which come into perspective when on placement in semester two of third year. Being on placement for fifteen weeks offers us students an invaluable opportunity to gain an insight into the career we will have. It is daunting at first but I can honestly say it has been a fantastic time and will benefit both future studies and careers. It allows us gain hands on experience in lots of areas such as Industrial relations, Recruitment, Employment Law and the general running of a HR office. Placement offers lots of learning and networking opportunities. The past three years I have spent studying in DIT have been a really positive experience.“
- Communications & Professional Skills
- Contemporary Issues in Management
- Health & Safety
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Introduction to Industrial Relations
- Macro Economics for HRM
- Principles of Management
- Quantitative Analysis & Excel
- The Human Resource Management Legal Framework
- Behavioural Science
- Employment Law
- Employee Resourcing
- Financial Accounting
- Learning & Development
- Management Accounting
- Micro Economics for HRM
- Organisational Behaviour
- Options - choose two from:
- EU Frameworks
- International Business Management
- Operations Management
- Procurement Management
- Database Management for HRM
- Employer Reward
- Ethics and Corporate Governance
- Organisational Change
- Organisational Communications & Teamwork
- Options - choose one from:
- Finance and Partnerships & Outsourcing
- Quality Management & Process Improvement
- Work Placement or Study Abroad option
- Contemporary Issues in Human Resource Management
- Employee Relations
- International Human Resource Management
- Managing Cultural Diversity
- Performance Management
- Project Management
- Strategic Management
- Individual Project
First year students enrolling on this programme who have obtained 500 points or more in their Leaving Certificate, will be awarded a first year entrance scholarship of €2,000 in recognition of their outstanding performance in the Leaving Certificate Examination.
Students can avail of a 6 month placement in the 3rd year of the course. The student will have an opportunity to acquire relevant, real world experience in a business setting. Placement partners include leading companies in all the key business sectors. This placement is usually paid.
T: 01 402 3240 (Margaret Farrell, Head of Department)
T: 01 402 3031 (Aideen O'Byrne, School Administrator )
Minimum No of
Minimum Grade in
English or Irish
FETAC Level 5 Minimum Entry Requirements
A FETAC Level 5 entry route to this programme is available. Please visit www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/fetac/