Commercial Modern Music / Nuacheol Tráchtála DT506
Programme code: DT506
Qualification awarded: BA (Commerical Modern Music) Level 8 / BA (Nuacheol Tráchtála) Leibhéal 8
Duration of programme: 4 years
Type of programme: Honours Degree
Number of places: 150 approx.
Location: Francis Street
What is...Commercial Modern Music?
The BA (Hons) in Commercial Modern Music is a 4 year programme which has been designed specifically for guitarists, bass players, drummers, vocalists, songwriters, music teachers and those running commercial music projects who want to gain a level 8 qualification in modern music, while at the same time fulfilling their creative and commercial potential. The programme encourages musicians to hone their live performance skills whilst developing their career goals using a deadline-driven project management approach- keeping focus on the individual’s aspirations. Instrumental Streams: Drums, Bass, Guitar, Vocals, Songwriting.
Learning Outcomes: What will I Study?
The BA (Hons) includes a mixture of classroom study, live performance and specialist workshops from BIMM’s studios and lecture rooms, equipped with a choice of vintage and state-of-the-art music gear in The BIMM Dublin building located in the city centre. The programme will be delivered by active professional tutors, all of whom have a variety of touring, performing and session experience, and a background in the professional music industry. In addition to practical and academic lessons, course delivery is supported by BIMM Dublin’s comprehensive tutorial system that enables every musician to benefit from widespread access to music industry professionals for expert help and advice. There are also many extra-curricular activities including rehearsing, recording and performing in public, and visits from high level professional musicians and other music industry personnel.
What are my Career Opportunities?
BIMM Group enjoys outstanding retention and achievement rates, excellent student feedback and a strong track record of alumni success; BIMM students have scored an unprecedented thirty UK Top 40 singles and Top 20 albums including The Kooks (who have sold over 2 million albums), Beth Rowley and Kate Walsh. Many more are working throughout the music industry within artist management, record labels, music publishing and live music production.
What other options do I have after completion?
Students who have reached the appropriate honours standard may have access to a wide range of Masters Degrees in DIT and elsewhere in Higher Education.
What our Students say!
- Beth Rowley - BIMM Graduate: “Having graduated from BIMM Brighton, I understand how important it is to receive professional training for a lasting career within the music industry. BIMM provides a vital link between the education community and the music industry and the lessons I learnt there have been invaluable to me so far in my professional career. I am currently signed to Blue Thumbs Records, a division of Universal Music and published by Chrysalis Music. I have enjoyed recent success with a Top 10 album and three headlining tours in the UK. My album has been released in various countries around Europe and the rest of the world including the USA, Germany and Japan.
Year One & Year Two
- Songwriting Techniques
- Arrangement Analysis
- Music Business & Study Skills
- Artist Development & Entrepreneurship
- Live Performance Workshop
- Music Theory & Arrangement
All students take the mandatory modules in their third year of study: Research, Cultural Perspectives Professional Musicianship Theory & Transcription You will be required to make a selection of optional modules: Performance in Context Session Skills Commercial Band Management Studio Recording The Songwriter/ Producer
All students take the mandatory modules in their fourth year of study:
- Personal & Business Development Analytical Perspectives Professional Project (Two years of hard work come together in the realisation of the student’s final year project). You will be required to make a selection of optional modules: Solo Performance Ensemble Performance Commercial Songwriting Music Business Studies Music Teaching Practice Modules in Traditional Irish Music in DIT Conservatory of Music & Drama may be available subject to audition.
BIMM Dublin Admissions - Aoife Fitzpatrick
BIMM Dublin College Manager - Dara Kilkenny
T: 01- 5133 6666
Minimum Number of
FETAC Level 5 Minimum Entry Requirements
Any AWARD FIVE DISTINCTIONS and AUDITION for minimum entry.
All applicants must attend an assessment / audition to establish their playing standard and eligibility for the course. Assessments will not commence until after the CAO deadline of the 1st of February 2014. A few weeks after the CAO closing date, we will contact all those who have applied and call them for assessment / audition. We will be running our assessments up until at least April. +find out more