The Higher Certificate in Bar and Restaurant Management is a three year part-time programme that incorporates Bar and Restaurant practical and theoretical classes, all of which will facilitate the development of the knowledge and skills required to work in the Bar and Restaurant industry. The programme embraces Restaurant, Bar operations as well as enterprise development studies and business modules that are focussed on products and services provided in today’s Irish and international Bars and Restaurants.
- Bar and Beverage Operations Studies
- Food and Beverage Studies
- Food Production and Restaurant Service(6 Weeks in Kitchen and 6 weeks Restaurant)
- Spirts and Liqueurs
- Food and Workplace Safety
- Kitchen and Larder 1
- Sommelier Skills – Service and Sales
- Cocktail Making
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Food Costing and Control for Culinary Arts
- Wine Studies 1
- Enterprise Development Studies
- Introduction to legal studies for Licensed Premises
- Human Resource Management
- International Bar and Restaurant theory
- Online Marketing & PR
Leaving Cert applicants - Minimum Grade in Maths: O6/H7, English or Irish O6/H7
Other applicants will be assessed on a case by case basis
Graduates may expect to develop careers in front line Bar and Restaurant duties. The programme recognises the evolving nature of the Bar and Restaurant sector, in particular the introduction of the food offering brining a new dynamic to the licensed trade. This programme will enable learners to be industry ready for ongoing changes as they arise.
The objective of the programme is to develop the individual by equipping them with the appropriate knowledge, understanding and professional management skills to pursue successful and entrepreneurial careers in the broad bar and restaurant industry that includes, licensed premises, gastro pubs, hotels, restaurants, retail outlets, clubs, and entertainment venues.
The programme provides learners with a ladder for progression onto similar DIT degree programmes in the broader Food, Beverage, Hospitality and Tourism industry.