This module examines key issues in entrepreneurship. These include the traits and motivations of the entrepreneur, the entrepreneurial process, the nature versus nurture debate and types of entrepreneurs. It also provides case studies of various hospitality, tourism and leisure entrepreneurs.
- Introduction to entrepreneurship
- Traits of entrepreneurs - Are entrepreneurs born or made?
- Types of entrepreneurs in tourism/hospitality/leisure
- Minority entrepreneurship in the tourism/hospitality/leisure industries
- The entrepreneurial process
- Intrapreneurship and entrepreneurship
- Guest lectures
- Entrepreneurial success and failure in tourism/hospitality/leisure
- Climate for enterprise
- Regional impacts of tourism/hospitality/leisure entrepreneurs
- Course consolidation and review
As the number of places is limited, candidates may be short-listed on the basis of information supplied on the application form. Candidates will be notified of the outcome or of any short-listing procedures.
Under 23 years of age
(a) Irish Leaving Certificate in five subjects. Results must include:
- At least OD3 in Irish OR English
- At least OD3 in Mathematics
- At least Grade OD3 in one of French OR German
(b) an equivalent qualification
Over 23 years of age
Candidates will be considered on a base by case basis.
Examinations / Assessments
Assessment and examination
The examinations will be considered for exemption from the equivalent subject on the Higher Certificate in Hospitality Services Management (Programme Code DT451) and/or on the BA in Hospitality Management (Programme Code DT460).
On successful completion students will be able to:
- Relate entrepreneurial theory to practice.
- Select an issue in entrepreneurship and evaluate and analyze it through independent secondary research.
- Dissect the stages of the entrepreneurial process.
- Analyse the entrepreneurial environment.
- Examine cases of hospitality/tourism/leisure entrepreneurs.
This module will enhance your career opportunities in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.