The rooms division department is usually organised along functional lines and includes the accommodation, front office, and security sections. This module introduces students to the department, its functions, the people who operate it and the technology used in the department
- Introduction to rooms division: hotel types: internal departmental structure: internal communication.
- Selling from the front desk.
- Reservation procedures: manual and computerised.
- Reservations cont’d: guest history and loyalty programmes; overbooking; blacklist.
- Registration and room allocation: legalities; room assignment; check-in procedures; key cards etc.
- Guest accounting and cashiering: check-out; method of payment; safety deposit procedures.
- Site visit/guest lecture.
- Planning and organising the accommodation department.
- Future trends and developments in rooms division.
As the number of places is limited, candidates may be short-listed on the basis of information supplied on the application form. Candidates will be notified of the outcome or of any short-listing procedures. Applicants will be notified in early September whether the advertised courses will run and be informed of the precise schedule of classes.
Under 23 years of age:
(a) Irish Leaving Certificate in five subjects. Results must include:
- At least OD3 in Irish OR English
- At least OD3 in Mathematics
- At least Grade OD3 in one of French OR German
(b) an equivalent qualification
Over 23 years of age:
Candidates will be considered on a base by case basis.
Assessment and examination
The examinations will be considered for exemption from the equivalent subject on the Higher Certificate in Hospitality Services Management (Programme Code DT451) and/or on the BA in Hospitality Management (Programme Code DT460).
On completion the learner will be able to:
- Describe the important role rooms division plays in all types of hospitality properties.
- Identify customer expectations, requirements and resulting implications for the rooms division manager.
- To perform basic tasks utilising hospitality software applicable to rooms division.
- Describe and explain the basic functions, duties and tasks necessary to manage the rooms division department on a day-to-day basis.
This module will enhance your career opportunities in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.