This module provides an introduction to research methods appropriate to the undertaking of a thesis at undergraduate level. It provides support to the student undertaking significant research for the first time.
- The Research Process
- The Research Question
- Secondary Data Collection
- Writing the Literature Review
- Quantitative Tools and Analysis
- The Questionnaire
- Qualitative Tools and Analysis
- The Research Proposal
- Writing the Thesis
As the number of places is limited, candidates may be short-listed on the basis of information supplied on the application form. Candidates will be notified of the outcome or of any short-listing procedures. Applicants will be notified in early September whether the advertised courses will run and informed of the precise schedule of classes.
Under 23 years of age
(a) Irish Leaving Certificate in five subjects. Results must include:
- At least OD3 in Irish OR English
- At least OD3 in Mathematics
- At least Grade OD3 in one of French OR German
(b) an equivalent qualification
Over 23 years of age
Candidates will be considered on a base by case basis.
Assessment and examination
The examinations will be considered for exemption from the equivalent subject on the Higher Certificate in Hospitality Services Management (Programme Code DT451) and/or on the BA in Hospitality Management (Programme Code DT460).
On completion the learner will be able to:
- Formulate a research question from a business or academic perspective.
- Critically evaluate academic literature in writing.
- Synthesise academic literature.
- Creatively employ an appropriate range of data collection and analysis tools
This module will enhance your career opportunities in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.