This is an advanced module examining the complexities of people management, in the hospitality, tourism, leisure and event industries, both nationally and internationally. This module incorporates both Human Resource Management (HRM) and Industrial Relations (IR) components. The theory and practice of good Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations activities are discussed and analysed in the course of this module.
- Strategic Human Resource Management (SHRM) and business Performance.
- The current Irish industrial relations landscape.
- International Human Resource Management (IHRM), HRM in Multinational Companies, Comparative HRM, National Culture.
- Diversity Management.
- Talent Management.
- Current HR Issues in the Hospitality/Tourism/Leisure/Event Industry.
As the number of places is limited, candidates may be short-listed on the basis of information supplied on the application form. Applicants will be notified in early September whether this programme will run and informed of the precise schedule of classes.
Under 23 years of age
(a) Irish Leaving Certificate in five subjects. Results must include:
- At least OD3 in Irish OR English
- At least OD3 in Mathematics
- At least Grade OD3 in one of French OR German
(b) an equivalent qualification
Over 23 years of age
Candidates will be considered on a base by case basis.
Assessment and examination
The examinations will be considered for exemption from the equivalent subject on the Higher Certificate in Hospitality Services Management (Programme Code DT451) and/or on the BA in Hospitality Management (Programme Code DT460).
On successful completion of this module the learner will be expected to be able to:
- Analyse the linkages between strategic HRM and business performance.
- Evaluate the current Industrial Relations climate in Ireland.
- Assess and illustrate the key components of international HRM.
- Investigate the challenges of diversity management.
- Develop a talent management initiative.
- Evaluate current topical HR challenges facing the hospitality/tourism/leisure/event industry.
This module will enhance your career opportunities in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry.