The Higher Certificate in Advanced Painting and Decorating is devised to enable students to attain a broad understanding and appreciation of the needs of the sector. It is intended to combine the expertise of craft subjects with the academic knowledge acquired through completion of this programme.
The range of modules that form this programme will give students the capacity and confidence to face the challenges that are likely to confront them in the workplace. This includes a thorough understanding and knowledge of construction principles, techniques and an in depth knowledge of multiple substrates. In addition students will learn to apply the principles of business and finance, report writing, research, health and safety legislation and estimating and tendering. It is thus designed to produce graduates who are capable of managing the successful completion of a painting and decorating project in a professional manner guided by the acquired knowledge from this course.
- Preparation of Surfaces
- Preparatory Wallcoverings
- Site Safety & Construction Procedure
- Construction Drawing
- Broken Colour Effects
- Surface Finishing
- Decorative and Artistic Effects
- Reflection on Experiential Learning
- Research Design, Report Writing and Computer Skills
- Self Professional Development and Learning Skills
- Wallcoverings 1
- Spraying 1
- Construction Safety Management 1
- Business & Finance
- Wallcoverings 2
- Electrical Systems
- Estimating and Tendering
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Spraying 2
- Metal Materials Technology
- Mechanical Building Services
- Project Management and Sub-Contracting
Applicants to Year 1 of the programme will have served an apprenticeship within the painting and decorating industry. Holders of an Advanced Certificate (FETAC level 6) or equivalent in the area may apply for Advanced Entry to Year 2 of the programme. Equivalent examples include the Department of Education Senior Trade Certificate and/or a City and Guilds of London Institute Advanced Craft Certificate.
Consideration will be given to applicants who can supply supporting evidence of Prior Experiential Learning with relevant work experience.
Examinations / Assessments
Each module will be assessed by one or more of the following methods:
- Written examination
- Submission of course work
- Written reports
Having successfully completed this Level 6 Higher Certificate programme graduates may be eligible to apply for entry to higher level qualifications such as degree courses
- plan, coordinate, estimate and control resources
- recognise and apply the statutory requirements of Health and Safety at Work Act 2005 and Safety, Health and Welfare (Construction) Regulations (2007/2010)
- liaise with designers and architects and others as part of a team for the successful completion of a project
- monitor and control painting and decorating projects to meet required standards of quality
- assess and evaluate quality in production and craftsmanship among a range of crafts such as plasterwork, carpentry and joinery as well as painting and decorating
- apply the principles of professional project management with regard to economy, public interest, long term sustainability and efficiency
- assess and specify relevant materials required for a range of substrates
- assess and specify appropriate spraying system for a range of projects
- set up and carry out a range spraying projects in an efficient and safe manner
- maintain a range of spray systems
- understand the characteristics and suitability of a range of wall covering materials and decorative laminates for various surfaces
- hang and install a range of wall coverings and decorative laminates
- be aware of the individual’s own learning style and use this knowledge appropriately
- manage contracts in an effective and efficient manner through excellent communication skills.
With the current demands of building regulations, planning laws, health and safety laws, registration of professionals and client’s performance and quality requirements, there is a need for suitably qualified people in the painting and decorating area. As a result of this Contractors need a competent and capable workforce. This workforce should be in a position to carry out tasks and assess situations effectively and professionally. This course of study will prepare graduates with a range of hard skills in their craft area as well as a broad understanding of other crafts through modules such as carpentry and joinery and plastering. Soft skills are also catered for through the Self professional Development and Learning Styles.