This page contains information on requesting a Deferral of FIRST YEAR only, following an offer from CAO. Current students must contact Student Services. Those offered an Advanced Entry place can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A facility to defer entry for one year may be available in exceptional circumstances, for instance medical reasons and for which supporting documentation will be required. Deferrals are at the discretion of the Head of Enrolment Planning and Admissions. In order to avail of the facility, an applicant must first be offered a place through CAO and then take the following steps:
- DO NOT ACCEPT the CAO offer in the manner shown on the Offer Notice.
- Email IMMEDIATELY email@example.com or write to the Admissions Office, Dublin Institute of Technology, 143 - 149 Lower Rathmines Road, Dublin 6 requesting deferral and giving the reason(s). Mark “DEFERRED ENTRY” clearly in the subject line of your email or on the envelope.
- Applicants who request deferral in order to take up another third level place in the CAO system will not be granted deferred entry.
- Give your name and address as it appears on your CAO application, quote your CAO Application Number and the Course Code of the offer you wish to defer.
- The email or written request must be received in the Admissions Office at least two days before the “Reply Date” shown on the CAO Offer Notice.
If your deferral is granted you are then required to:
- submit an application to CAO for the deferred course by the 1st of February the following year
- include on this application the deferred course as the first and only preference
- advise the Admissions Office by email or in writing of your full name, new CAO application number and deferred course by April 30th of the same year that the new application has been made