What is .... the International Foundation Programme?
The International Foundation Programme (IFP) is a one year programme run by the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT). It has been developed for international students who need language and/or academic preparation for further study on undergraduate programmes in Ireland. Upon successful completion of the programme and International Foundation Certificate ( Special Purpose Award, Level 6, 60 ECTS Credits) will be awarded by DIT and you will be guaranteed a place on your undergraduate programme of choice at DIT.
Why study on the IFP?
- This is your first step towards gaining a degree in Ireland
- It makes the transition to third level education in Ireland much easier
- It provides a supportive, student-centred learning environment
- You will study a range of Academic English modules and modules related to your discipline of choice
- You will have full access to DIT facilities and support services
- The campus is located in Dublin city centre
- You are guaranteed entry to your destination degree upon successful completion of IFP and on meeting the rules of progression as set by the individual schools.
What is the Learning & Teaching Style?
- You will be taught by highly qualified and very experienced DIT academics and English language tutors
- The programme takes a communicative teaching & learning approach and is task-based and integrated in its delivery
- There are lots of opportunities to practice English through group work with Irish and non-Irish students
- The class sizes are small to ensure that there is maximum support from lecturers
- There is additional one-to-one Maths & English support
- Learning will involve many different styles of third level teaching such as lectures, tutorials, workshops, cultural trips and online learning
- You will learn how to take control of your own learning and will reflect on your learning experience throughout the programme
- There are regular student support meetings with the IFP Coordinator
Learning Outcomes: What will I Study?
Students will learn language, academic and study skills to prepare for their undergraduate studies. Upon successful completion of the programme, students are guaranteed a place on an undergraduate programme of their choice at DIT. No further IELTS is required. The IFP is an ideal pathway towards furthering your education at third level.
There are four main streams on the International Foundation Programme, namely, Business, Science, Engineering and Social Science. These streams prepare students for all undergraduate programmes at DIT.
What is the programme structure?
- There are 2 in-takes: September & January
- 2 semester , intensive programme
- 24-26 contact hours per week
- 6 Core Modules2 Elective Modules - You will choose 2 modules related to your major from the following 4 streams: Engineering, Science, Business & Social Science
- English for Academic Reading & Writing
- Communicative Competence in English
- Applied Writing
- Maths ( Fundamental, Intermediate or Advanced)
- Information Technology
- Introduction to Higher Education
You will be assessed regularly throughout the programme through continuous assessment and homework assignments; this ensures your progress is closely monitored during the year. You will also be required to complete a number of final exams for each of your modules. You must pass all modules to progress to your Undergraduate Degree.
Attendance and participation in all classes are compulsory and necessary for success. Also, due to immigration rules we are required to keep attendance records for all students.
International Pathway Programmes
Deirdre Ryan, programme coodinator
Email : Deirdre.firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +353 1 4024147
Information about visa, registering with GNIB, insurance or other non-academic issues
International Office staff
Phone: + 353 14027844 / 4253