What is... Languages & English Studies (For native or nearly-native speakers of English)
This BA fosters competence in French, German, Irish, Italian or Spanish alongside an enriched understanding of English. Fluency of expression is a key priority in the world of work and the aim of this programme is to increase linguistic versatility in every respect. It is delivered over four years through three strands of subject matter including composition skills, literary studies and language learning and teaching. Graduates will be proficient communicators in their chosen European language and highly adept at text analysis and production in English.
DIT Languages offers a long standing, international reputation for excellence. With marketable graduate attributes in mind, DT517 aims to cultivate sophistication in English while advancing proficiency in the foreign language.
What are my... Career Opportunities?
The combination of another European language with English will widen career paths for graduates both within Ireland and internationally. Bilingual communicators with critically refined understandings of the spoken and written word are prized in many fields of work including business, education, media and government.
What other options do I have after completion?
Students who have reached the appropriate honours standards may qualify for a range of post-graduate and master’s degrees in DIT and elsewhere, nationally and internationally.
Learning Outcomes: What will I Study?
English modules include literature, composition, and linguistics, as well as cultural studies, cinema and the teaching of English as a second language. French, German, Irish, Italian and Spanish modules develop spoken competence, written accuracy and intercultural understanding through translation and literary analysis.
This four-year honours programme involves three years of study in DIT and one year abroad at a partner institution in the country of the foreign language. Alternatively, qualified students in Year Three may undertake an English language teaching assistantship in France, Germany, Italy or Spain.
- Composition and Writing Skills
- Text & Research
- English-Speaking World Cinema
- Introduction to Cultural Image
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Text & Narrative
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish Language 1A (Post-LC)
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish and Latin American Studies 1
- Chinese/French/Irish/Italian/German/Spanish 1B (Beginners)
- American Vantage Points
- Communicative Fluency
- Texts for Stage & Screen
- Intercultural Studies
- World Cinema
- Language Learning & Teaching
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish Language 2A
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish and Latin American Studies 2
- Chinese/French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish 2B
- Modernism & 20th Century English Literature
- English Literature of Ireland
- Teaching English & Drama
- Writing for Professional Purposes
- Creative & Imaginative Writing
- The American West
- Art, History and Culture of France
- Hispanic Identities
- French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish Literary and Cultural Studies
- Current Affairs in France/Germany/Italy/Spain and Latin America
- Translation and Interpreting French/German/Irish/Italian/Spanish
- Chinese Spoken Language
- Chinese Written Language
- Chinese Cultural Studies
Are there study abroad options?
Students are required to spend the third year of the programme in the country of their foreign language, either as an English language assistant or as a student in a partner university.
T: (01) 402 2843