Research Assistant: Fixed-Term, Part Time for Six Months
Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:24:00 GMT
The School of Languages, Law and Social Sciences at Technological University Dublin, is seeking to recruit a Research Assistant part-time (2 days per week). The successful candidate will assist on a specific research project and will work under the supervision the principal investigator, Dr Matt Bowden, Senior Lecturer. The project aims to explore the role of local and national politics in the issues of crime management, safety and security and particularly the role of politicians as brokers for local community concerns. The post is funded by an internal TU seed fund to add to existing research activity under the principal investigator’s research programme.
Duties of the post include:
- Contribute to the research design and field studies in relation to the project.
- Carry out field work in consultation with the Principal Investigator.
- Record, analyse and write up the results of the field studies.
- Prepare and present findings of research activity to colleagues for review purposes.
- Help prepare progress reports on research for funding bodies as required.
- Contribute to the preparation and drafting of research bids and proposals.
- Contribute to the overall activities of the research team and department as required.
- Work under supervision on an assigned research task.
- Be responsible for ensuring that equipment is safe and maintained in working order.
- Carry out any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager.
- Actively comply with all TU Dublin policies and regulations, including those in relation to Research Ethics and Health and Safety.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the appropriate mix of knowledge, experience, skills, talent and abilities as outlined below:
- An Honours Degree from an approved degree awarding institution or equivalent in sociology, criminology, social policy or cognate discipline (essential)
- Evidence of familiarity with the subject matter and willingness to be/remain contemporaneous with the subject matter (essential)
- Working knowledge of research techniques. (essential)
- A Masters degree in criminology, sociology, social policy or cognate discipline
- Evidence of an interest in areas of public safety, security, policing and / or crime prevention and criminal justice issues.
- Demonstrate a level of experience with qualitative research especially.
- A doctoral degree near in completion or willingness to register for a PhD.
• Evidence of ability to analyse and write up data. (essential)
- Demonstrated ability to collate research activity .
- Evidence of experience of working in a research environment and or part of a research project / team.
Skills, talents & abilities
- Effective written and verbal communication skills (essential)
- Commitment to high quality research (essential)
- Project administration skills.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team
Salary will be at the first point on the Research Assistant scale €21,674 pro rata
To apply please send a CV to Dr Matt Bowden firstname.lastname@example.org before 5pm on Monday 25th February 2019